Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Random thoughts

During my research at work today, I found that SA is NOT a lower-income country according to the World Bank. India, of course, is. I really thought SA was going to be on that list too. Afterall, the place reminds me of Bombay all the time: trains that don’t run on time, or are overwhelmingly crowded when they do run, large slums, a profusion of cars manufactured by Tata, (of all things!), even Hyundai Santros (making me miss Mummy), people who stare unabashedly, the juxtaposition of the mountains and the sea, and of course, the incessant rain. All this means is that I feel right at home in Cape Town. Except for the fact that the samosas have meat in them.


The rugby game I went to on Saturday was eyeopening. Surprisingly violent, and surprisingly preppy. The game is much like American football, except that pretty much anything goes at any time; kicking, touching the ball, throwing, beating up the opponent. And the audience comprised mostly of white people dressed in their preppy best, much like at a Princeton game. Bizzare.


This is for Papa: I liked how the words “njalo-njalo” sound!

More pics once the crappy weather stops.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So they DO have samosas. See of all the things u wrote, I picked up on food! I had Ethiopian food once, and it was much like masala dosa, just a lil bit sour, I loved it. Does Cape Town have a culmination of all things African?? Love n hugs.